Thursday, June 14, 2007

On Contradictions, Direct Belief and Tillian Paradoxes

In my previous post I laid out a brief case that Tillian paradoxes cannot be believed directly. In the midst of that argument, I made the assertion that one cannot directly believe a contradiction. Although true as a simple summary, there are some distinctions that need to be made. Under some circumstances it is possible to directly believe a contradiction, and under others it is not. The key difference is immediate awareness of the conflicting propositions.

Let's imagine a situation in which a person believes these four propositions: my computer was not operating at noon, there are only two computers in the house, a computer was in use at noon in the house and the other computer was not at use at noon. The conjunction of these four propositions generates a contradiction. Since these are all propositions, this is a case of direct belief. So all that remains is to imagine a situation in which someone would have all of these beliefs at the same time. Let's suppose that I know that my computer is off and the other computer is only used by others while they are there. I know that there are only two computers in the house because that is all that I see, and I know that the others in the house were away at noon. I later receive an e-mail that indicates that it was sent from an address used by the others in the house. As I think about it, I realize that it could not have been sent unless someone was at home. But until I think about it, I am directly believing a set of contradictory propositions.

Now try to imagine believing a simple contradiction of any kind, such as the sky is blue and the sky is not blue. I can't. I imagine something else: some of the sky is blue and some is not, or the sky is blue at one time and not at another, or I first believe one and then the other. None of these count as believing a simple contradiction. Neither can one believe a set of contradictory propositions while being immediate aware of all of them. Consider the previous example. Once I became aware that the e-mail was sent and focus my awareness on this fact, I believe that someone was home using the other computer. Focusing my awareness on that proposition leads to the belief that the other computer was in use at noon. Yet that is the contradictory of the belief I previously held!

These examples show that immediate awareness is sufficient to dispel any direct belief in contradictory propositions. They also show that lacking such awareness allows for the possibility of such beliefs existing directly. So precision requires that I restate my earlier point on Tillian paradoxes. They cannot be believed directly while bringing such propositions into the immediate awareness. One can believe them directly without doing so.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Fulford said...

Another thought:

Could it be logically (and psychologically) possible to believe an apparent contradiction directly but implicity? That is, can you have the following mental state and be logically consistent:

"I believe whatever x doctrine teaches to be true, in whatever sense it would be true to someone who knows how to consistently explain its truth, even though it is apparently contradictory to me."

That would seem to be a "direct" belief by your definition (the person is not simply believing another person or persons, but a set of propositions), though still a belief in an apparent contradiction. Granted, the belief would not have much meaning if that was the only way they believed it, but that is a separate issue from the logical/psychological possibility of believing in that way.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I find nothing wrong with such a belief. It is direct, as you noted. It is not contradictory, nor does it entail a contradiction. The only point of interest is that it is a belief about another belief (a second -order belief). Such beliefs are likely necessary if one is to believe any apparent contradiction or tension (including those found in Scripture).

5:24 PM  
Blogger Andrew Fulford said...

I suppose it appears second-order the way I stated it, but I think it could be stated in a way that it is first order, too:

"I believe God is one being (in one sense) and three beings (in another sense), though I am not able to explain how the senses differ."

This is believing the doctrine of the Trinity directly, not simply believing something about the doctrine of the Trinity. Again, of course one could raise the question of how meaningful the doctrine would be to the person who affirmed it in that way, but that is a separate issue from logical/psychological possibility, I think.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home